The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, says several ongoing road projects across Abuja are progressing well and are expected to be completed by mid-2026.
Wike disclosed this on Thursday after inspecting work in Karu, Gishiri and the dualisation of the Outer Southern Expressway. He said the Karu road project, which had suffered delays since it was first awarded in 2011, has now been re-awarded to SCC and is back on track.
According to him, completing the road will ease the heavy traffic experienced by residents of Nyanya and Karu who commute to the city centre daily.
“We cannot continue to play politics when it concerns the welfare of the people,” he said.
The minister also confirmed that construction has begun on the Kubwa–Bwari road, also handled by SCC, which will serve as an alternative route into Bwari once completed.
Wike expressed satisfaction with the level of work done so far and said he was confident the projects would be delivered on schedule and inaugurated in mid-2026 to mark President Bola Tinubu’s third year in office.
He noted that residents, including students and pupils in the communities visited, expressed excitement about the ongoing developments.
Wike added that the level of infrastructure expected in 2026 would surpass what would be seen in 2025, with more interventions in health, education and other key sectors. He explained that the administration may not award new contracts in 2026 so that resources can be focused on completing existing projects.
“We want to make sure the projects we started this year are completed in 2026,” he said. “That year is a political year, and you don’t start projects you may not finish within your appointed period.”

