President Bola Tinubu has assured Nigerians that all victims abducted during the recent attack on schools in Oyo State will be rescued, while strongly condemning the killing of one of the kidnapped teachers.
The President gave the assurance in a statement issued on Monday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, following the attack carried out by gunmen in Esiele community, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The attack, which occurred last Friday, saw armed bandits invade several schools in the community, including Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School, abducting teachers, students and pupils.
According to the statement, security agencies have intensified efforts and are currently working around the clock to ensure the safe rescue of all victims while tracking down those responsible for the attack, including their suspected collaborators within the community.
Tinubu described the reported murder of one of the abducted teachers as a cruel and barbaric act, expressing sympathy to the government and people of Oyo State.
He also commiserated with the families of the abducted victims and acknowledged the actions taken by Governor Seyi Makinde in response to the incident.
“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I also sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims,” the President said.
Tinubu stated that the Federal Government is collaborating closely with the Oyo State Government to secure the release of those still in captivity.
He commended the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their swift intervention and the deployment of tactical teams alongside the Intelligence Response Team to support rescue operations.
According to him, the Inspector-General of Police is personally overseeing the technology-driven operation on his directive, adding that authorities are optimistic about making significant progress soon.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” he stated.
The President further noted that recurring cases of kidnapping across the country have once again highlighted the need for state policing structures, urging the National Assembly to expedite action on legislation establishing state police.
He said underserved areas across the country require stronger local security frameworks capable of responding quickly to threats.
Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier confirmed the killing of one of the abducted teachers and reiterated the state government’s commitment to rescuing the remaining victims.
The governor disclosed that seven teachers and an unconfirmed number of pupils were kidnapped during the attack.
He revealed that information received by the government indicated that one of the abducted teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, had been killed by the terrorists.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Makinde said.
Meanwhile, teachers in Ogbomoso on Monday staged a peaceful protest over the abduction and killing of their colleagues.
The protest led to the shutdown of classroom activities as teachers marched to the TESCOM office carrying placards with various inscriptions demanding urgent government intervention.
The protesters called on authorities at all levels to intensify efforts toward rescuing those still in captivity while also demanding stronger security around schools and safer learning environments for students and teachers.

