Former Google executive Matt Brittin officially assumed office on Monday as the new Director-General of the BBC, stepping into the role at a challenging period marked by planned job reductions, financial pressures, and legal controversies.
Brittin, 57, who previously served as president of Google’s Europe, Middle East and Africa division for more than a decade, takes charge despite having no direct background in journalism or broadcasting. During his time at Google, he oversaw operations responsible for roughly a third of the company’s global revenue. Before joining the technology giant, he worked as a consultant with McKinsey.
The British-born executive succeeds Tim Davie, who had led the BBC since 2020 before stepping down in November. Brittin’s appointment comes at a time when the media industry continues to experience significant transformation and increasing pressure to adapt to changing audience habits.
On his first day at the BBC’s headquarters in central London, Brittin was welcomed by a small group of protesters from the National Union of Journalists (NUJ), who demonstrated concerns over the corporation’s ongoing restructuring plans.
The BBC recently announced proposals to cut up to 2,000 jobs as part of measures aimed at reducing operational costs by 10 percent over the next three years.
Speaking on his first day in office, Brittin said he felt both honoured and humbled to lead the corporation but acknowledged that difficult decisions lie ahead.
In a message addressed to BBC staff, he noted that painful choices would be necessary as the organisation works toward achieving financial savings.
He emphasized the need for the BBC to adapt to changing audience behavior, saying the corporation must expand its presence across platforms where audiences are increasingly consuming content and become more willing to experiment with new ideas.
“We must be where audiences are and experiment more bravely: test ideas, learn quickly and back what works,” he stated.
Brittin also stressed that the BBC remains an important institution at a time of growing global uncertainty.
“The world needs the BBC more than ever,” he said.
Among the immediate issues facing the new Director-General is an ongoing lawsuit initiated by US President Donald Trump.
The legal dispute centers on a documentary that featured an edited clip from a speech Trump delivered ahead of the January 2021 US Capitol riot. The lawsuit argues that the editing created the impression that Trump directly encouraged supporters to storm Congress.
The BBC responded in March by requesting that a federal court in Florida dismiss the case.
Brittin also faces the politically sensitive task of renegotiating the BBC’s Royal Charter, which governs the corporation’s structure and operations. The current charter is due to expire next year.
Funding remains another major concern for the broadcaster. A significant portion of BBC revenue comes from television licence fees paid by UK households watching live television or online broadcasts.
However, a parliamentary committee report released in November indicated that the corporation lost more than £1.1 billion in revenue over the past year as fewer households renewed their licences.
The broadcaster has also faced several controversies in recent months.
Earlier in 2025, the BBC issued apologies over what it described as serious editorial shortcomings involving the documentary Gaza: How To Survive A Warzone.
In another incident last October, UK media regulators sanctioned the organisation over a programme considered materially misleading after it emerged that a child narrator featured in the broadcast had family ties to a former Hamas official.
Despite the mounting challenges, Brittin expressed confidence in the corporation’s ability to evolve, stating that throughout its history the BBC has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to reinvent itself and respond to changing audience needs.
He urged staff to move with greater urgency and focus as the broadcaster navigates one of the most challenging periods in its recent history.

