Newday Reporters

FG Suspends Planned Closure of Eko Bridge Following Safety Reassessment

LAGOS — The Federal Government has suspended its earlier plan to shut down the Eko Bridge in Lagos State after a fresh technical review confirmed that the structure remains safe for use for now.
Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, made the announcement on Tuesday during an inspection of the bridge, explaining that the decision followed concerns raised over the potential hardship a closure could create for commuters and residents.
Umahi disclosed that the bridge had initially been scheduled for closure due to structural concerns. However, following directives from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Ministry carried out another assessment to determine whether the shutdown was immediately necessary.
According to him, the President expressed concern over the impact such a decision would have on Nigerians and requested a second evaluation of the bridge’s condition before any final action was taken.
He stated that engineers and technical experts revisited the structure on Monday and concluded that the bridge could remain open while safety measures continue.
Umahi emphasized that public safety remains the government’s top priority and assured that authorities would not allow a situation where road users are exposed to danger.
Following the reassessment, he said the ministry adopted a three-step approach to address the issue.
The first decision, he explained, is to keep the bridge open while closely monitoring the crack discovered on the structure. He noted that experts have observed no signs of progression in the crack so far.
According to the minister, the defect is currently not expanding and has shown no measurable increase either gradually or rapidly. He added, however, that cracks could develop unexpectedly, making continuous monitoring necessary.
Umahi said he would personally return for further inspections to ensure the bridge remains safe for users.
He also revealed that remedial engineering work would commence on the structure and is expected to last about four months.
The repair process, he explained, would involve additional piling and the construction of a pile cap connected to the affected area to divert pressure away from the damaged section.
He added that the intervention would help preserve the bridge and potentially allow full access to continue while preparations are made for more extensive reconstruction work.
Umahi further explained that once the temporary structural measures are completed, authorities would proceed with a comprehensive design plan involving the removal and replacement of the damaged slab section.
The minister commended President Tinubu for what he described as his concern for citizens and commitment to infrastructure development, calling for support and prayers for the administration.

Stories you may like