Newday Reporters

Umahi Urges South-East To Back Tinubu In 2027, Says Region Risks Missing Development Gains

Minister of Works, David Umahi, has called on residents of the South-East region to massively support President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 general elections, warning that failure to do so could affect the continuation of major infrastructure projects currently being executed across the region.
Umahi made the appeal on Wednesday during an inspection of ongoing federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi State, where he described the current level of infrastructure development in the South-East as unprecedented.
According to the minister, no previous administration had invested in the region on the scale witnessed under the current government.
Among the projects inspected was the Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja Superhighway, which Umahi described as one of the administration’s flagship legacy projects.
He explained that the section stretching from Ndibe Beach in Ebonyi State to the Ebonyi-Benue boundary spans approximately 123 kilometres and is being constructed using reinforced concrete pavement with solar-powered streetlights. The project is estimated to cost N454 billion.
Umahi disclosed that the Federal Government had already released 50 percent of the project funding, while approvals were also being processed for the dualisation of strategic portions of the route.
He further revealed that the second section of the corridor, extending about 178 kilometres from the Ebonyi-Benue boundary through Benue, Kogi, and Nasarawa states to Oweto Bridge, carries a contract value of N685 billion.
Although he acknowledged financial constraints affecting contractors handling various projects, the minister assured that the Federal Government remained committed to meeting its obligations.
According to him, President Tinubu had assured contractors that outstanding payments would be settled.
He noted that construction projects are ongoing across virtually every state in the country under the current administration.
Umahi urged communities benefitting from federal projects to reciprocate through political support, stressing that government interventions should be appreciated.
Referring to previous election outcomes in parts of Ebonyi State, he stated that communities expecting project completion should demonstrate stronger political support in future elections.
He maintained that only federal backing could sustain projects of such scale and argued that the current administration had moved beyond campaign promises by initiating visible construction efforts.
The former Ebonyi State governor also said the South-East had become more politically relevant under the present administration, citing his appointment as Minister of Works and the spread of federal projects across the region.
He recalled previous concerns over marginalisation and insisted that the region now occupies a more significant position within national politics.
Umahi further called on political leaders in the South-East who support the administration to openly speak about government achievements and create awareness among residents.
He expressed optimism that major portions of the ongoing projects would be completed before the end of the year and advised voters against allowing sentiments to determine their choices in the 2027 elections.
According to him, electoral victories require planning and strategic engagement rather than emotional considerations.
The minister also stated that the administration had demonstrated commitment in critical sectors including infrastructure, security, healthcare, education, and youth development.
He expressed confidence that Ebonyi State would record overwhelming support for President Tinubu in the next presidential election, insisting that previous electoral outcomes would not be repeated.

Stories you may like