Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates has withdrawn from delivering a keynote address at a major artificial intelligence summit in India following renewed controversy linked to documents connected to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
In a statement released on Thursday, the Gates Foundation said the decision was made to keep attention on the summit’s main objectives.
“After careful consideration, and to ensure the focus remains on the AI Summit’s key priorities, Mr. Gates will not be delivering his keynote address,” the foundation stated.
The organisation reaffirmed its commitment to its ongoing programmes in India, noting that its work to improve health and development outcomes in the country remains unchanged. It added that the president overseeing its Africa and India operations would represent the foundation at the event.
The AI Impact Summit, taking place in New Delhi, is expected to feature prominent speakers, including Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several global technology leaders. Discussions will centre on the opportunities and potential risks associated with artificial intelligence.
The development comes shortly after the release of a new batch of documents by the United States Justice Department relating to investigations involving Epstein, who died in prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
Among the documents were emails and draft communications involving various high-profile individuals. In one draft email, Epstein made claims about Gates’ personal life, including allegations of extramarital affairs and other misconduct. However, the inclusion of a person’s name in the documents does not constitute proof of wrongdoing.
Gates has previously expressed regret over his association with Epstein. Speaking in an interview with an Australian broadcaster earlier this month, he said he deeply regretted his interactions with him.
“Every minute I spent with him, I regret, and I apologize,” Gates said.
His spokesperson also rejected the allegations contained in the recently released documents, stating that the material reflected Epstein’s dissatisfaction over his inability to maintain a relationship with Gates.
According to the spokesperson, the documents highlight Epstein’s attempts to damage Gates’ reputation after their relationship ended.
Meanwhile, Melinda French Gates, Gates’ former wife, said the release of the documents had resurfaced painful memories from their marriage. She noted that any unresolved questions surrounding the matter should be addressed by those directly involved.
She added that it was not her responsibility to provide answers regarding the issue.
The Gates Foundation did not indicate whether Gates would participate in the summit in any other capacity.

